After undergoing a surgical procedure, there are some post-operative instructions you need to know for healing in Lexington, Kentucky. If you have any questions, please contact Bluegrass Periodontics and we will help you in any way we can.
– Pain Prevention is taken seriously, so Drs. Neuman & Neuman will prescribe a steroid to take right after your procedure to reduce swelling. You can also take acetaminophen with the steroid, or an NSAID.
– Antibiotics are usually only given to patients who have had implants places. Alert the office if you have sensitivity or allergies to any medication we give you.
– Swelling may occur following your surgical procedure and usually peaks between 2-3 days after; to minimize the swelling, we recommend waiting at least a day before exertion, elevating your head when lying down, with two or three pillows, applying a cold pack for 20 minutes, then off for 20 minutes, for the first 24 hours. After 24 hours, you may apply heat.
– Bleeding is normal, if it’s just a small amount, and typically occurs a few hours after your surgery. It’s very important to NOT use a straw or spit. You can apply a moistened gauze to the area for 20 minutes to help control bleeding. Please contact the dentist if bleeding persists.
– Stitches will usually dissolve in 4-7 days, but depending on what type of stiches you receive, they can be removed 1-2 weeks after your procedure.
– Smoking during healing is not recommended since it can greatly impeded healing
– Eating on the opposite side of the procedure is best for the first 1-2 weeks. A soft diet is recommended.
– Cleaning your teeth should be very gentle and you should not floss for at least a week following your surgery. Also, it’s best not to brush your gums, only press gently against the tooth, close to the gum line.
For more in-depth instructions, please refer to your PDF form here. Drs. Neuman & Neuman are excited for your appointment. Call us for any questions, at 859-252-7726.